Once I had the six triangles sewn together and solved the minor problem with the size of the center hexagon, I still had a lot of embroidery to do. I worked on it off and on all day yesterday and today. I have finally finished! Every seam has some sort of stitching embellishing it.
Each triangle was pieced on a fabric foundation and I embroidered as much as I could before the assembly. Once everything was together, I basted it onto thin Quilters Dream cotton batting and the rest of the embroidery was done through all layers. I gave it a good spritz of water and pressed it well, front and back. Now it is "relaxing" on the counter. I will trim it and layer it onto the backing tonight. No quilting, just ties here and there, plus a few well placed buttons. The last touch will be a little bit of beading. Baby can't wait.