Saturday, November 11, 2017

Another Cat

Prompted by an activity at "Artrageous Quilters".  We were instructed to use paints, stamps, stencils to create just the impression of something.  Simple, lots of fun, only 13" wide and 10" tall.

Thursday, October 19, 2017


I feel like my attention has been scattered in a lot of different directions!

I've been asked to teach a class on collage animals.  The patterns by Laura Heine (Fiberworks) have been very popular in this area.  So I had to give it a try.  It is not on a background or quilted yet, but my collage cat is together.

Next up is what I call "playing with Grandma's scraps".  I have a box full of scraps that came from my grandmother.  A while back I came across them and wondered what I was saving them for?  I have a love of free-form scrappy blocks, so, with inspiration from Victoria Findlay Wolfe's 15 Minutes of Play, I made four propeller blocks.  First it had a much brighter yellow border.  I was stuck for a while, then changed to the gold shown here.   

This afternoon I added half square scrappy triangle blocks for another border.  I'm not finished yet, but will think about the next step for a while.  I still have plenty of  Grandma's scraps.

The last item in today's SHOW-AND-TELL is a fidget mat that I made for my neighbor.  Her mother is an Alzheimer's patient and nurses had suggested this.  It was my first try, but I think it turned out OK.  It was kind of fun to find a variety of textures and baubles and sew them on VERY SECURELY. 

I continue to work on the small quilt with striped squares shown previously.  It is being hand quilted as we speak!  And I cut out to sew a bunch of Cathedral Window tree ornaments.  They'll appear here soon! 

Sunday, October 8, 2017

Not a Quilt

It is a rainy Sunday afternoon and I headed upstairs to the sewing/craft room to play for a while.  I hadn't done any jewelry-making recently, so I sat down to see what I could find to do.

First I found a pendant that I had started.  Some wire wrapped around a (shell?) disc.  It was pretty plain and the wire wasn't stabilized very well.  I added some wraps with finer gauge wire and also added the dangles at the bottom.  I think it looks better now!

Next, I found a zip-lock baggie of brass "rice" beads.  I had to go to 22 gauge wire to get through the beads.  I made this dainty little bracelet.  As I was cleaning up, I came across the little turtle charm, so I made a jump ring and added him!

I  also found a bracelet that I had started a while back, with green  glass beads.  It didn't take too long to finish, but I'm not 100% certain that I used the same gauge wire.  Next time I won't leave an unfinished project for so long, or I will at least make a note!   

When I have a few more pieces ready to go, I will clean them all up and add a patina, which will darken the copper and make them look more finished.

Thursday, October 5, 2017


I found the inspiration that I mentioned in the last post.  It was on my phone, not on the other computer!

I saw this at the Metropolitan Museum of Art when I visited NYC last April.  Epic fail - I failed to note the artist.  It was in the area of Picasso and other 20th century artists.  If you can provide me with a name, I'd appreciate it.

I started playing with the colorful strips of fabric with this in mind.

I sewed until I ran out of red and orange.  So that's how big it will be.  Since I like strips and strings so much, there may be more in the future.  Now, back to the machine to sew it up!

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Somebody Else's Scraps

We've all done it.  No matter how wonderful our own fabric is, we love looking at what everyone else has.  I've started a new idea today, using my play scraps.

Someone gave another load to Lizzie and she gave me a big bag that I dumped right on top of my scrap laundry basket.

I fiddled around and kind of came up with a color scheme of sorts.  Red will be my accent or "treat" fabric as Victoria Findlay Wolfe calls it.  I cut a bunch of strips.

Then I started sewing strip sets.  Some strips were too wide so I trimmed. Nothing is over 1".

I'm trimming to 3 1/2" square.  The picture of  my INSPIRATION is apparently stored on the other computer, so I'll have to amend this.  The inspiration was something I saw at the Met in April....... 

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

It's a Struggle

Teaching an old dog new tricks.  Here I am, trying to import a picture from the old camera to a new computer.  You have to save it in a different place.  You have to crop it a different way.

Last time I posted, I showed the Fat Quarter of Sharpie tie dye.

Today, I'm ready to show off my finished project if I can just figure out how to do it ...

Obviously, I finally found it.  Wish the detail showed a little more clearly.  It's another big stitch quilting project.  The circles were hand appliqued with the freezer paper method.  I like it, let me know if you like it too!

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Sharpie Tie Dye Project

Here's my Sharpie tie dye fat quarter.  I auditioned it with other fabric and found a pretty intense aqua that worked.

I cut four 9" squares from each and used the instructions for "Peppermint Pinwheel" in Cultural Fusion Quilts to make two blocks.

The pieces are kind of wonky when the sewing is complete.  I pressed each piece well and squared to 7".  Then I made two blocks.

I'm probably going to put them together the same way I used two blocks made with a leaf print fat quarter back in 2015.