I'm back to work on the purple project. The raw materials appeared in the last post. For this sample, I only made 6 blocks to get started. I cut 6 squares of each size:
I used a wide zig-zag stitch throughout. First, I sewed all of the 4 inch squares onto 6 inch squares. I trimmed out the back, pressed each block, then repeated the procedure with the 10 inch and 12 1/2inch squares. The placement of the squares was crooked on purpose - sometimes a little to the left, sometimes a little to the right. Here are my blocks at this stage.
Next, I cut all of the blocks in fourths and switched the pieces around. The reason for all of the trimming was so that I didn't have 4 layers in the centers of the blocks. That would have been awkward to put together!
Here are my new blocks, all sewn together.
Time for a break. Maybe I'll put a border on it tomorrow.I couldn't resist including one pet picture. This is my grand-dog, Ruby, who came to visit me for Mother's Day. She is a big girl, weighing in at about 105 lbs. at 18 months. (Her breed is Leonberger.) I got a LOT of slurpy kisses. She is a sweetheart.