Monday, May 14, 2012

Purple Haze

I'm back to work on the purple project.  The raw materials appeared in the last post.  For this sample, I only made 6 blocks to get started.  I cut 6 squares of each size:
12 1/2"
10"
6"
4"

I used a wide zig-zag stitch throughout.  First, I sewed all of the 4 inch squares onto 6 inch squares.  I trimmed out the back, pressed each block, then repeated the procedure with the 10 inch and 12 1/2inch squares.  The placement of the squares was crooked on purpose - sometimes a little to the left, sometimes a little to the right.  Here are my blocks at this stage.  
Next, I cut all of the blocks in fourths and switched the pieces around.  The reason for all of the trimming was so that I didn't have 4 layers in the centers of the blocks.  That would have been awkward to put together!
Here are my new blocks, all sewn together.
Time for a break.  Maybe I'll put a border on it tomorrow.  
I couldn't resist including one pet picture.  This is my grand-dog, Ruby, who came to visit me for Mother's Day.  She is a big girl, weighing in at about 105 lbs. at 18 months.  (Her breed is Leonberger.)  I got a LOT of slurpy kisses.  She is a sweetheart.

3 comments:

Dawn Hendrix said...

LOVEING the purple HAZE.. O wait I am not suppose to like Purple....

Lori R. said...

It's only purple because that was the first group of coordinated fabrics I ran across ... I'm thinking now that I had better make another 6 blocks or it won't be big enough for anything.

Paulette said...

Love this project and the name! It reminds me of a bento box quilt, which has been on my to-do list forever, but yours is so fun because of the blocks look sorta wonky (but they're not really cuz the seams match...hm, how do you do that?). Anyway, great quilt!

Ruby looks like a real lover!