Sunday, September 16, 2012

Revisiting an Old Favorite

On Saturday, I taught a class on how to make my pattern "Crooked on Purpose".  It is an easy and fun scrap quilt and I offer two versions:  a miniature version with 3" blocks or a lap quilt with 6 " blocks.  Here is my original, with 3" blocks (hand quilted with pearl cotton in big stitch).
Here is the lap quilt size (which STILL needs to be quilted).
Since I didn't need yet another unfinished lap quilt, I chose to demonstrate the smaller blocks.  The technique is exactly the same either way.  I gathered a selection of fall colors.
The class included instruction on setting a quilt on point and the differences between half square and quarter square triangles.  I like to wait until I have some of the blocks done before I choose the fabric for the setting triangles, so, during class, I auditioned several possibilities.  The class consensus was to use the dark green leaf print.

After class, I experimented with settings.  How about a runner?  Here are the rows, ready to be sewn together.  It looks about a mile long from this angle!  It ended up measuring 35" long when all together.  Now I want to think about what to do on the ends and/or borders.
MEANWHILE, Sally, Ruth and I discussed swapping Christmas scraps to make "Crooked on Purpose" table toppers.  Here is what we are each starting with.  So, the fun continues!
I was back at the Dog-Shaming.com website and actually found a fabric related photo of a naughty dog!  Enjoy!

No comments: