Friday, March 23, 2012

Feed Sack Cobwebs

Here's what things looked like when I was finished with the string piecing on the feed sack parts of the cobweb blocks .  Cassie was exhausted by the process!  Next I added the solid side pieces.  After the solid fabric auditions the other day, I ended up choosing a green just because I had enough of it.  


BUT ... as it turned out, I didn't have enough.  I was six strips short!  And I didn't discover it until I was almost finished with the blocks.  I was determined to use solids from my stash and decided that I could add one different strip to each block and arrange them symmetrically when I put the top together.  I told myself that that's what our pioneering grandmothers would do!


Anyway, I've put together the first block and it has too many seams!  It's lumpy and thick in the center and I'm not very happy with it.  I'm already thinking about using some vintage buttons to hide the intersections when I am finishing.  I am glad I'm only making six blocks and it is a small project.  Maybe we can't hit a home run every time?  
And, maybe things will all work out in the end.

2 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

love all those feedsacks. the trick is to make everything liberated/unruly and not care that the seams don't match! heh heh heh.

Lori R. said...

Sometimes I can't help matching. I know it's a problem!!