Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Change of Pace

For a change of pace, I decided to work on a little idea that I started thinking about back in December.  Here is the fabric I'm using.
I've admired Bethany Reynold's "Stack and Whack" quilts, but I never wanted to make one because I wouldn't enjoy matching up all of those triangles!!  At a quilt show, I saw a simplification of the idea in a form I liked - FOUR PATCHES!  Sorry, I don't know if this is from a pattern or a book, I just looked at a quilt and remembered the idea.  I chose the busy floral fabric, cut four repeats, layered them carefully and cut 2 1/2" squares.
Today I got around to playing with the squares.  It was FUN and I can see that this could become addictive.  The four identical blocks produce a kaleidescope effect painlessly. 
 
Here are the first eight blocks.  I'd love some suggestions for how to set them together, something a little more interesting than just plain old sashing.
This is another idea in progress.  Sally found this craft project.  We "painted" pictures with melted crayons.  Next, we will crumple it up and spray with black fabric dye.  Finally, we will iron and iron between newspapers to remove the wax.  Hopefully, we will end up with a batik effect.  Don't know if it will work or not, but I'll show it even if it is bad!

3 comments:

Sally Hamilton said...

The kaleidoscope blocks are so pretty! Next time I have to make a child's quilt I'm thinking of doing kaleidoscope blocks in pastels. So how are you going to finish it off? I hope to feel well enough this afternoon to crayon paint more on my piece.

Twisted Quilts said...

I love the way that is turning out! So cool.

Katie Kleber said...

this looks like something *i* could do - i love the kaleidoscope quilts, but they are too much for me - this looks do-able.

i think a plain, dark color would do well to off-set the pretty patterns you are getting (maybe even black)...just a suggestion. (and maybe on-point?) of course, you know me and my color-choices : ) (so maybe "pool", but i think it may be the wrong blue, sigh). and how big should the sashing be...? anyones guess, but i know you will make it b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l.!

and i am sure the batik will turn out great. i really like your birds and that is a fun process to do - haven't done that in YEARS : )

enjoy, peace!