Here is the background that I created back in July (about the same time I started the star quilt). I had to live with it for a while to decide what I wanted to do with it next.
The background is machine quilted, some with straight lines and other parts stippled. In the silver-gray fabric I outlined some of the flowers with stitching. Then I decided to add a bird swooping in.
I began to embellish by couching a silver trim haphazardly with white nymo thread and silver beads. I followed that up by adding blue yarn with blue nymo thread and blue beads. Then I was stuck again.
This weekend I decided to finish things. The quilting around the flowers did not stand out at all, so I painted between lines of quilting (with ordinary acrylic paint). I made flower centers by drawing up circles of fabric around buttons. I added a little more yarn, a row of blue buttons, and running stitches in embroidery thread on the bird.
My last step was to finish this wall quilt with a facing instead of a regular binding. That's a requirement for a quilt challenge due next year, so it was time to learn. Katherine gave me a big hint, a link to a blog called "Jeri Rigged". Go to http://jeririggs.blogspot.com. She has a tutorial about quilt facings that was very helpful.
Tonight, the quilt is finished. Here are some close-up shots to show detail. Yea!