Monday, July 4, 2011

Oriental Tiles Revisited

Way back in January, I started a quilt top, using the pattern "Oriental Tiles".  I selected a dark batik, an Asian print, and a mottled tone-on-tone. 
I was very organized and did all the cutting at one work session.  There were a zillion triangles to sew and trim and press ... that took two sessions at least.  Then, other things apparently got in the way and this project was pushed aside.  Now that I'm getting back to it, I find that I wasn't as far along as I'd thought.  I HAD sewn all of the squares on (that would become triangles), but I hadn't trimmed and pressed them all and I actually only had two completed blocks.  So, this is what I started out with today.
By the end of the afternoon, I had 7 blocks.  Only 5 more to go!  Hope to show the finished top soon.

First thing this morning, I tackled a little project for the TRPQG (Tar River Piecemakers Quilters Guild, Rocky Mount, NC).  Members were given a square of fabric and the assignment of making a 12" quilted square of any design ... to be placed in police cars to be given to children to comfort them in emergency situations.  The guild has also made the bags and they will be filled with an assortment of items.  Here is what I came up with.  I am going to do a combination of machine and hand stitching to complete it.  The multi-colored print in the heart and four-patches is the challenge piece.
Last, but not least, there is another knitting project to show.  This is a new hat pattern and I probably will be able to get in finished in front of the TV tonight.  Easy, except that the first half is supposed to be knit on circular needles and then switch to double-pointed as the top is decreased.  I had the correct SIZE of circular, but they were too long, so I've knit the whole thing on double-pointed.  Good practice.
I'm planning on a matching scarf, too.  This is just plain, old acrylic yarn, but it's a big skein.  The scarf will grow until I run out of yarn.  

No comments: