Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Dear Jane Continues ...

It's been a while since the last "Dear Jane" update.  I am up to 29 blocks finished.  The setting plan that I have in mind calls for 41 blocks, so I'm getting there!  Here are a few of the most recent.
It is very interesting to me to try and figure out the best method to construct each block, like solving puzzles.  Some of the blocks lend themselves to paper piecing, in which case I scan and copy the line drawing in the book.  In some of the blocks have combined hand appliqued curved elements with machine piecing.  In a few cases, I have "disagreed" with the line drawing interpretation of the block in the book, in which case I have redrawn the block (EQ) to more closely resemble the real block in the quilt.  Quite a learning experience.

I continue to mull possible border ideas for my star quilt.  Right now I am leaning toward a folk-art looking appliqued border.  I've been playing with some bird drawings today.  I am also thinking about some sort of bird theme for the red/gray/dk.pink background that I put together on Saturday.

I have had birds on my mind since I began watching the "Eagle Cams", both in Decorah, Iowa and at the Wildlife Center of Virginia.  Watching the bald eagles up close and personal from hatching to flight (all in the matter of about four months) has been a fascinating learning experience.  The young eagles have all flown now, so we'll have to wait until next spring for the cycle to begin anew.

Since birds had captured so much of my attention recently, they also became the theme of the most recent store challenge "For the Birds".  The entries are due this week and I'll be showing them off here and on the store website eventually.  http://www.cottonfieldsnc.com/   

No comments: