Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Carnival and More

This morning finds me back at work on the Carnival quilt.  After I finished the curved piecing the other night, all of the segments needed to be trimmed to 6 1/2" x 12 1/2".



Then I sewed the segments into groups of three, carefully mixing them up (I think it is HILARIOUS how hard I work sometimes to make something look random.)


Look what I have after all the trimming - I see the seeds of another free-form quilt!  It's going to be hard to keep myself on track today with that little pile of strips tempting me.  I have developed quite a collection of skinny strips. Whenever I trim off a strip that is 'bout wide enough, I put it to the side ... for "later".  It doesn't quite rival my selvage collection, but it's growing!


I've been teaching two beginner classes here at the store.  We're making a sampler quilt and everyone just about has their quilt top put together.  I've been making one right along with them as I demonstrate.  All I have left to do is add outer borders.


Isn't it nice to be able to change your mind?  I had originally planned to use the daisy floral for my sashing and border.  WAY too busy.  The nice blue tone-on-tone works much better.  If this was a quilt for ME, I would probably make a narrow inner border and finish up with the daisies as the outer border. But, since this is a beginning project, I think I'll just make one border.  I'll teach this again and will use this as my class sample.

Last, but not least, look what I found when I took a break from sewing.  The floor lamp beside the chair puts out a lot of heat, so Baby has found the coziest place around.




No comments: