Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Modern Log Cabin?

About a month ago, I made some "Improv Log Cabin" blocks, started in a workshop taught my my friend, Katherine.


I wanted to think about how to set these fun, crooked blocks together in a non-traditional way.  I also took a trip out of town and took the Rayna Gillman workshop.  Thinking, thinking, thinking ...

I DID come up with an idea, actually an idea that I plan to use when I put together some small blocks that were gifts (this is a great setting to use when blocks aren't all exactly the same size).  I added wide strips of white to two sides of each block, then trimmed them to a uniform size (8.5 inches).


My original plan was to orient the dark and lights in each block in the same direction, then I played around with the layout.  Here is how it ended up.


Look at all that white!  Does it qualify as a "MODERN QUILT"?  Should I give it a border?  I'll think about it for a while.  No hurry. 

1 comment:

Kathy S. said...

Yes, I think it does qualify as a modern quilt. I really like it!