Thursday, July 4, 2013

Harder than it looks

It is harder than it looks to sew strips crooked on purpose, after a lifetime of pinning and quarter inch seams!  I worked on the second free-form quilt ALL DAY today.  Here is a glimpse of the progress on the design wall.

These are the first pieces that I had done.  I am experimenting with placement and finding out how much more I need to sew to "fill in the holes".

Now, I've made a few new elements and moved some others.  I don't like those four little "box shapes lined up in a row at the bottom ,though.

Here it is, with more strip sets added.  I've started to sew some of the sections together.

Here is the completed top.  I turned it upside down and liked it better!  Next comes quilting, but I have a trip and some other obligations coming up, so it may be a week or two before I can show off the finished product.

1 comment:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Improv work is MUCH harder than following a diagram or pattern . . . but also much, much more soul-satisfying on the deepest levels. I love your final solution (and that you shared the process).