Friday, June 16, 2017

Playtime

I'll start with the little idea I found on the internet, searching for "turtles", believe it or not.


I drew it out on EQ4 and printed 15 copies, thinking that I would make 3 columns of 5 blocks.  Just as I was finishing the 15th block, it dawned on me that because it takes 2 columns to form the pattern, I would need 5 more.

Tonight I trimmed.


Then I arranged my blocks in 4 columns.


THEN, I had a "what if?" moment ......


So, I might need to think about that for a while.  It's a good thing I have 99 other projects waiting for me! I've gotten started on my Splendid Sampler blocks by making the first three in the book. 


Then I picked out a couple of easy ones from the middle of the book.  The blocks vary widely in difficulty and method.


I've invited interested people to come to the shop on the 3rd Saturday of the month, beginning in July, to work on the blocks together, sort of a Splendid Sampler Support Group.

I've put the hourglass quilt aside for just a bit.  I have another hand quilting project that I've worked on sporadically for a WHILE.  Now that I've reached the borders, I want to concentrate on getting it finished.  It's one of my Cotton Fields patterns called "Crooked on Purpose".




I challenged myself to quilt it with no markings.  The only guide I gave myself was to score lines with my stiletto in the side triangles to keep myself even. I used the stiletto and a 1" ruler because, who knows where my hera marker is?! 







2 comments:

Rayna said...

Love, love, love what came out of that "what if?" moment,Lori! Both arrangements are splendid; I'm just wondering if there is a third somewhere out inf serendipity-land. What fun!

NickiJ said...

I love your what if moment the best!! It certainly gives a real twist.