Friday, August 29, 2014

Skinny Strips Again

I was feeling more than a little creatively STUCK, then a kind note from Rayna Gillman got me kick started last night.  I sent her a note this morning, asking how it felt to have a box named after her!


That box holds strips and strings left over from other projects or trimmed while cutting.  With her "Create Your Own Free-Form Quilt" style, almost nothing is too skinny.

I pulled out scraps left over from this, made from the Pagodas pattern from Maple Island Quilts:


And this, the Carnival pattern, also from Maple Island Quilts:


Then I sewed and sewed for about 1 1/2 hours.


I took a break and browsed through Rayna's book for a while.


When I was pulling out all of those fall-colored strips, a couple of red pieces of batik also appeared and I decided that they could stay.  I went looking and found that I had more.  I also found a pretty gold Kona Bay texture.  Those will come in handy for accents and if I need any larger chunks.  The solid yellow is ancient and will be used in small amounts also.

Back to the machine for another half hour or so.  This is what I ended the night with:


Probably the next step will be taking everything off the design wall and playing with arrangements.  I'm taking a trip next week, so I will look at it all with fresh eyes when I return.

Deeper down in that box, I found a lot of leftovers from this:


 More than I remember, these are definitely "seed" for another project.


I dug further and found a variety of greens that I think might play nicely with the rest.  Some of it is from the backing and facing.


One of the galleries in town is planning a "tiny art show".  I will visit them today and find out the particulars.  

Now I have some new fun things to work on and think about!







 



2 comments:

rcp said...

Hmmm...you got me motivated! Thanks!!!

Sujata Shah said...

Wow! You have been busy! keep going..String quilts are so much fun!