Saturday, July 30, 2011

Getting Organized

I'm happy to say that I have come up with a plan for finishing the little stars quilt.  Here's what it looks like currently, with it's first border:
I was looking at an older quilt book that I had at home titled Scrap Quilts Fast and Fun, when I noticed the border on one of the quilts.  Very folk art, with flowers and birds, vine and leaves.  I think that's the answer for my final border!  I spoke of this the other day, but did not have pictures.

I consulted my collection of solids and I do not have enough of the blue surrounding the stars for an outer border.  I DO have enough to use it as my binding.  I found another blue, a little lighter, that looks good, so that will be the border 5 or 6 inches wide.  Among the solids I also found a green that will provide needed contrast and it is already a bias cut scrap!  Maybe it was "vines" once before?
Here's a close-up of the shapes I plan to use in the applique.  The bird was scanned, reduced and changed slightly from one source, flowers and leaf drawn by me, and the star "borrowed" from another source.
I'll use the freezer paper method  of applique.  The shapes will be in a variety of scrappy colors, like the stars. 

Speaking of borrowing, my friend, Helen, came to my rescue with a 1/2" bias tape maker to use for my vine.  Thanks, Helen!

No comments: